Fresh and Wild Mushroom Stew
August 26, 2020
- 1 1/2 lbs cultivated brown mushrooms, like shiitake, cremini or portobello
- 1/2 lb pale wild mushrooms, like chanterelle (or use King trumpet or oyster)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 tsp chopped sage or rosemary
- pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 small ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- porcini broth, heated, or use chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsps chopped parsley
Tasting notes: If you love mushrooms, this dish is for you. Because mushrooms pair beautifully with Pinot noir, it's an easy match.
Serena's tips: We loved this over polenta and threw a little brandy in at the beginning of Step 5.
- Website link
- Website address: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015198-fresh-and-wild-mushroom-stew
Recipe courtesy of David Tanis and the New York Times. Photo courtesy of Fred R. Conrad for The New York Times.