Coq au Vin
- 5 lbs skinless chicken breasts and thighs
- 1 to 2 cups unbleached flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy, plus 3 to 4 tablespoons
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsps minced parsley, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 lb small white mushrooms, cleaned, and stems removed
- 24 pearl onions, peeled
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) good quality dry red wine
- 1 or 2 tablespoons Madeira or Marsala
Pairing Notes: Coq au vin, mashed potatoes and a great bottle of Pinto noir is all you need for this delicious dinner.
Chef's Tip: If we have pancetta and garlic on hand, we add that to the pot after Step 2 and cook it before putting the chicken back in.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Rose Schulman and the New York Times. Photo courtesy of Francesco Tonelli for The New York Times.