Noodle Bowl With Mushrooms, Spinach and Salmon
- 6 cups kombu stock, chicken stock or vegetable stock
- Soy sauce or salt to taste
- 6 ozs Japanese soba noodles, cooked and tossed with 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (simmer stems in stock for 20 minutes, remove them and discard), or 6 cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 12 to 16 ounces salmon fillet without skin, trimmed of fat and cut into 4 equal pieces
- 1 large bunch spinach, stemmed, washed in 2 changes of water and coarsely chopped (about 6 cups) or
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, light and dark green parts kept separate Cilantro leaves and sprigs for garnish
Pairing Notes: This was a fun take on classic pairings of mushroom and salmon with Pinot noir.
Chef's Tip: We substitute ramen noodles for the soba noodles and add some red pepper flakes for some kick.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Rose Schulman and the New York Times. Photo courtesy of Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times.