Mini Chicken Pies with Bacon and Marjoram
- 5 Slices Bacon (preferably applewood-smoked)
- 1 1/2 cups Onion, chopped
- 12 ozs Whole Baby Carrots, peeled (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 8 oz Bag Haricots Verts (or other slender green beans), trimmed and halved lengthwise
- 4 tsps Fresh Marjoram, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2/3 cup Crème Fraiche (plus 1 additional tbsp)
- 3 cups Chicken, coarsley shredded (from 1 small roasted chicken, skin removed)
- 1 Sheet Frozen Puff Pastry (half of a 17.3 oz package), thawed
Pairing Notes: We reduce the bacon and marjoram so they compliment versus overwhelm the Choate Pinot noir.
Chef's Tip: Because time (and ease) is of the essence during harvest, we purchase an already roasted chicken. We reduce the bacon to 2 slices and decrease the marjoram to 2 teaspoons otherwise the flavors are overwhelming. Because the creme fraiche comes in a 10 oz container, we use the whole thing.
Recipe courtesy of the Bon Appétit Test Kitchen, Bon Appétit October 2007
Photo courtesy of Tina Rupp