Fresh Fava Bean and Shrimp Risotto
- 2 lbs fava beans, shelled and skinned
- 1 lb medium shrimp, in the shell large shrimp will work, but not giant ones
- 1 quart chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil, or 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion or leek
- 1 1/2 cups arborio or carnaroli rice
- 2 large garlic cloves, green shoots removed, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Pairing Notes: We loved how bright the fava beans tasted against the luxurious risotto and it seemed to parallel the brightness of the Pinot noir.
Chef's Tip: Definitely use stock instead of water as it deepens the flavor in the risotto.
Recipe courtesy of Martha Rosa Shulman and the New York Times. Photo courtesy of Andrew Scrivani/New York Times. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/