French Lentils with Chard
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lentils, preferably imported green lentils, washed and picked over 2 1/4 cups
- A bouquet garni made with 2 bay leaves, a Parmesan rind and a sprig or two each of thyme and parsley
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (3/4 to 1 pound), stemmed, washed and coarsely chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan, crumbled goat cheese or feta for serving
Pairing Notes: Lentils and chard are great to pair with Pinot because they compliment the earthy aspect of the wine and let the fruit hsine through.
Chef's Tip: Don't link chard, we understand, you can substitute spinach and it tastes great!
Recipe courtesy of Martha Rose Schulman and the New York Times. Photo courtesy of Andrew Scrivani for The New York Times.